Power Ingredient: PumpkinOctober 21, 2014 12:40 pm
Fall isn’t just about the pumpkin spice latte.
Despite what your coffee receipts might suggest pumpkin isn’t only having a moment in lattes! This fall, people are incorporating pumpkin into a bunch of interesting and tasty recipes – think everything from sprinkling pumpkin seeds on top of salads to roasting with Indian spices to create pumpkin masala. I decided it was about time on got on board and decided to make Gimme Some Oven creator, Ali Ebright’s Pumpkin No Bake Energy Bites. These bites are sweet and salty – not to mention are easy to whip up and boast a ton of health benefits, including loads of vitamin A, fiber, beto-carotenes, potassium and vitamin C. These bites make a great post-workout snack and if you’re looking to make friends, I suggest bringing some to share with your fellow HBfitters!
PUMPKIN NO BAKE ENERGY BITES
(recipe from GimmeSomeOven.com)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Serving size: 20
- 8 oz. (about 1 packed cup) chopped dates
- 1/4 cup agave
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 Tbsp. chia seeds or flax seeds
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats (dry, not cooked)
- 1 cup toasted coconut flakes
- 1 cup toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- Combine the dates, honey, pumpkin puree, chia (or flax) seeds, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt in a food processor, and pulse until smooth and combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl, and stir in the oats, coconut flakes and pepitas until evenly combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Once the mixture is cool (and easier to work with), use a spoon or cookie scoop to shape it into your desired size of energy balls. (Mine were about 1-inch in diameter.) Alternately, you can line a small baking pan with parchment paper, and press the mixture evenly into the pan, let it cool, and then cut into bars.
- Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. (Storing them in the refrigerator especially helps the energy bites hold their shape.)