It should come as no surprise to you that we love a good salad at HBFIT. This week, we consulted one of favourite foodies on instagram @the_brooklyn_fraulein to help us take our salad game up a notch. She blessed us with this delicious chickpea and sweet potato salad, and some crunchy Brussel sprout chips that you won’t be able to resist…. is it lunch time yet?
What you’ll need:
4 c. spinach
1 large sweet potato, cut into 1′ cubes
1 can of chickpeas
1/2 c. dried cranberries
1 small red onion
1/4 c. roasted pumpkin seeds
1 tsp. cumin
Olive oil for drizzling
1/2 a lemon, juiced
3 tbsp. red wine vinegar
1-2 tbsp. olive oil
salt + pepper
How to make:
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Rinse and drain chickpeas – make sure they are completely dry before step
3. Place dried chickpeas on baking sheet and sprinkle with Olive oil and cumin – set aside.
4. Peel sweet potato and cut into small cubes – place onto a separate baking sheet.
5. Peel and slice onion lengthwise – add to the sweet potatoes. Season the onions and sweet potatoes with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil.
6. Place both baking sheets in the oven and roast them for about 20-30min
7. After 10 min, check on the chickpeas – they will be done before the sweet potatoes. Once the chickpeas are slightly brown and crispy take them out. Take the sweet potatoes out when they are slightly brown and cooked through.
12. For the vinaigrette: whisk together the ingredients, season with salt and pepper.
11. Add the spinach into a bowl or serving plate. Add cranberries, cooled sweet potatoes, chickpeas and toasted pumpkin seed into the bowl. Dress salad with the lemon vinaigrette and enjoy!