HBFIT EATS: PURPLE PIZZA BY ESTELLE LUBINOFebruary 3, 2016 6:09 pm
It’s all about thinking outside the takeout pizza box! In order about how to create the perfect HBFIT pizza, I thought about color as a major component. My mind immediately went to purple–a color key for both the winter season and nutritional power. I chose a variety of veggies–from kale to beets to cabbage to construct this pretty AND much better-for-you pizza.
1 3/4 cup warm beet juice (between 120-130 degrees to activate the yeast)
3 cups gluten-free bread flour
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
3 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp yeast
1 1/4 cup warm water
1 tbsp olive oil
1 red onion
Handful of fresh purple kale
1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 cup goat cheese, crumbled
2 tbsp heavy cream
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup red cabbage
1 tbsp honey
- Roast the beets at 350 until tender. Once roasted, the skins should peel off easily. Slice and juice. (Save the juice.)
- In a bowl, sprinkle the yeast on top of the warm beet juice and allow to activate, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine the salt and 2 cups of flour. Pulse until blended.
- Add the beet juice mixture, olive oil, and remaining flour to the food processor. Pulse and scrape the sides of the bowl until well blended.
- Once combined, place the dough in a well oiled bowl and cover. Allow to set and double in size. About 45 minutes
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown the red onion slices with a little bit of olive oil until they turn a slightly golden color. Add the balsamic vinegar and honey, cook for about 6 minutes and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350, and roll out the dough and place on a greased cookie sheet.
- Add a layer of heavy cream followed by mozzarella, goat cheese, red onion slices, red cabbage and purple kale.
- Bake the pizza for about 12-15 minutes or until golden and crisp.