When you think of cole slaw, you might think of the gooey side dish at your favorite diner. This healthy take on the classic is a light, modern salad that’s perfect for the winter time. Using simple, seasonal ingredients, we made this delicious salad with a vegan pumpkin dressing, so tangy and delicious and SERIOUSLY ADDICTING. You’ll be making it all the time.
Kale Slaw- What You’ll Need:
2 bunches lacinato kale
2 C grated carrots
2 C shaved red cabbage (on mandolin)
1 ½ C shaved fennel
1 C chopped toasted walnuts
Dressing- What You’ll Need:
1 1/3 C vegan mayonnaise
1 small clove garlic, minced
3 T Dijon mustard
2 T lemon juice
¼ C apple cider vinegar
3 T pumpkin seed oil
Salt and pepper
- In medium bowl, whisk together the mayo, garlic, mustard, lemon juice, vinegar and oil
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
Note: this recipe makes ½ cup of dressing and is good to keep in fridge for up to 5 days.
- Remove the ribs from kale and cut in really thin strips crosswise
- In a large bowl, mix kale, carrots, cabbage and fennel. The vegetables should look like thin shreds, just like a regular coleslaw would
- Add dressing a little at a time until desired amount
- Top with toasted walnuts right before serving. Enjoy!