Political Podcasts for the LaywomanNovember 1, 2016 1:30 pm
#HBFITgirls are busy. We know this more than anyone. But sometimes it’s important to take a step back from our routines and remember what else is going on in the world and get involved. Meet Lauryn Goldberg, the newest member of the HBFIT team here to contribute content that enlightens us outside of the gym. You didn’t think the team only works out did you? Get the inside scoop on what we’re listening to in the office leading up to Election Day below!
I like to consider myself up-to-date when it comes to the news, however during this election cycle I found myself worn down trying to find helpful and insightful information. There are only so many longform political think pieces and daily election updates a person can digest before pulling their hair out. Don’t even get me started on Facebook.
Luckily I discovered a commute-friendly way to stay informed and engaged leading up to this November (and beyond) – Podcasts. Below is a list of my favorites that keep me in the know, ranked from beginner to nerd-level.
- Best for Beginners: Slate’s Political Gabfest – This in an OG in the realm of political podcasting (established 2005) that feels like you’re sitting-in on an editor’s meeting. Except those editors are your whip-smart besties.
- Best for Digesting the Daily News: NPR’s Politics Podcast – NPR’s political reporters come together to chat daily quick takes, interview experts from both sides of the aisle, and answer listeners’ mail. They say it best with, “You don’t have to keep up with politics to know what’s happening. You just have to keep up with us.”
- Best for All Parties: KCRW’s Left, Right & Center – This 30-minute weekly whirlwind brings together guests from the Left and the Right, with moderator Josh Barro (the Center). I love this show because it gives you a lively conversation with multiple perspectives, without everything escalating to a shouting match.
- Best for Real Numbers: The Pollsters – Take it up a notch with fab duo focusing on – you guessed it – polls! Margie Omero (Democrat) and Kristen Soltis Anderson (Republican) review the numbers behind the week’s biggest news stories. Better yet, they also cover tech, news and pop culture.
- Best for Geeking Out: Vox’s The Weeds – Get ready to nerd out with this crew! Matt Yglesias, Ezra Klein, and Sarah Kliff bring you a policy-driven podcast that dives deep into health care, economics and research papers. Yes, research papers. Don’t be afraid of getting lost in the weeds; let these three be your guides.
Have a fave that is not included on the list? Tell us in the comments!