Dips are a necessity when I have friends over at my apartment. The problem with dips is that they can be super caloric, so I wanted to find a great dip that is low in cals and of course, really yummy.
I came across this Eggplant Cavair recipe on RealSimple.com and tweaked it to make it a little more #HBfit. It was so simple to make and a major crowd pleaser. It goes great with Mary’s herb crackers and smoky mezcal cocktails.
- 1 large eggplant (about 1 1⁄2 pounds)
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped (1⁄4 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley, plus more for serving
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Heat oven to 400° F. Using a fork, prick the eggplant all over. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet and roast until very tender, around 80-90 minutes.
- When the eggplant is cool enough to handle, halve it lengthwise and scrape out the flesh, discarding the skin, and transfer it to a large bowl. The eggplant should be a mushy consistency.
- Add the onion, garlic, parsley, oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper and mix to combine. Sprinkle with additional parsley and serve with crackers or vegetables.