What’s your health and beauty philosophy?
HBasks will be a reoccurring feature in which I ask hard working individuals about their health and beauty philosophy. Most business owners and entrepreneurs are interviewed about their brands and careers, but I want to know how they stay healthy and fit while running their businesses.
For the first installment of HBasks I asked Negative Underwear Founders Marissa Vosper and Lauren Schwab to tell me all about their HBfit regimen.
Lauren Schwab + Marissa Vosper
1) What is your health and beauty philosophy?
MV: My philosophies are:
You only have one body – treat it well.
You only have one life – enjoy it while you can.
You can’t control what happens in your world, but you can control how you respond to it.
You can always breathe and feel immediately better.
LS: I do my best to stick to these principles:
– Keep it clean.
– Stay hydrated.
– Be active.
– Rest well.
– Minimize processed foods.
– Seek to be whole, not perfect.
– Be kind to myself.
I do love a delicious brick oven pizza, the occasional glass of wine and a late night dance party– and I’m not going to beat myself up about it.
2) How do you stay #hbfit while running a business?
MV: It’s not easy, that’s for sure! I have to be really disciplined about the gym – literally scheduling time into my morning so I start my day on the right foot. When you’re running a new business it’s easy to fill every waking second with work, but I know myself well enough to know that I won’t be my most effective self if I’m not taking good care of myself. Whether it’s an hour and a half of yoga or 30 minutes of strength training, it completely changes the way I feel for the rest of my day.
LS: It’s hard to make time for the gym these days, but I believe that staying fit is a combination of a healthy body and a healthy mind. To stay fit, I try to:
– Start every morning with 5 minutes of meditation. Marissa has really turned me on to the Headspace app.
– Eat healthy, including lots of greens and lean protein, limited dairy and gluten, and avoid foods with preservatives.
– Replace post-work drinks with green juice or tea dates.
– Supplement friend dinner dates with yoga, barre or dance class. I find it’s way easier to motivate if I’m accountable to a gym buddy.
– Spice up my workouts by trying new things, whether it’s a twerk dance class, stand up paddle board lesson or a 7AM dance party.
3) What is your favorite meal to make for yourself?
MV: A big salad with some sort of organic seasonal green lettuce, green vegetables, fresh herbs, avocado, gomasio, homemade miso tahini apple cider vinegar dressing and a slightly runny, farm egg fried in coconut oil on top. Even my meat and potatoes fiancé can’t get enough.
LS: It’s a rare occasion that I cook for myself in NYC these days. I often reserve my meals for meetings or time to catch up with family and friends. If I make myself something to eat, it’s typically a smoothie. However, now that it’s the summer, I’m spending weekends at my family’s beach house and every meal becomes a family affair with each person making a dish. I love to go to the fish market, buy whatever’s fresh and create different flavors with the herbs and spices from the garden.
4) What 3 beauty products can’t you live without?
MV: Sleep has to be #1: the most underrated beauty product out there!
· My daily dry brush and weekly Frank body scrub are tied for #2 – healthy, luminous skin is more beautiful than any product you can buy.
· Lately I’ve been big into RMS – this amazing line of organic coconut oil-based makeup. I’m obsessed with their bronzer, luminizer and mascara.
LS: When it comes to beauty products, I love switching it up and discovering new things. Below are my current staples:
– La Roche-Posay Anthelios 50 Ultra Light Sunscreen Fluid for Face (+ hat) – I spent this past week in Hawaii and didn’t get burnt at all.
– Ouidad Climate Control Heat and Humidity Gel – I use this for both when I wear my hair curly and blow it straight. It changed the frizz in my life.
5) What is your go to snack while on the run?
MV: I often travel with greens powder – I really love Aloha greens – even if I can’t find almond milk, I can usually find coconut water to mix it with. I almost always have some sort of nutrition bar with me, just in case – I try to find options made with organic ingredients, healthy fats, minimal sugars, and added vegan protein when I can. And of course, there’s always dark chocolate!
LS: I’m often running around all day, so I try to carry some sort of nutrition bar in my bag so I don’t get ravenous and cranky. Recently, I’ve been carrying Kind bars, Greens + Energy bars, and Health Warrior Chia bars.
6) What is your go to #HBsmoothie?
MV: I’m a big believer in healthy smoothies for breakfast – I make one almost every day in my Vitamix – even when I’m traveling, I bring a shaker and easy to mix powders with me. My favorite blends usually involve some combination of raw cacao, vegan protein, greens, blueberries, almond butter, cinnamon, chia seeds, homemade nut milk or coconut water and whatever superfood powders or herbal tinctures I have on hand – smoothies are the easiest way to pack in nutrients, especially in the morning.
LS: I love creamy smoothies and can’t get enough of Juice Press’ Heaven on Earth smoothie with homemade almond milk, raw almond butter, dates, frozen banana, rice protein powder. I often add spirulina for an extra boost.
our #hbfit snaps
LIP STICK OR LIP GLOSS
BATH OR SHOWER
MV: A good bath is the ultimate luxury
LS: Shower- I love to stand under a hot shower and steam the bones!
GLOSSY OR MATTE
MV: Hmm how about dewy?
SWEET OR SAVORY
MV: All about the combo – salty makes sweet much more interesting.
EAST COAST OR WEST COAST
MV: East Coast for now when I have all the energy.
LS: I’ve been East Coast my whole life, but I romanticize West Coast life.
LIP OR EYES
MV: All about the eyes.
LS: I’m really torn!
‘SAY MY NAME’ OR ‘SINGLE LADIES’
MV: Say my Name – though really anything Beyonce says, does or wears is good in my book.
LS: Single Ladies – I can’t stop myself from moving when that song comes on.