Fall is here…. and our inner basic betch is craving a pumpkin spice latte. But we aren’t down for those sugar filled and processed PSLs you get from Starbucks. We partnered with Care/of to help you guys brave the changing seasons, and one of our favorite supplements they have in their arsenal of vitamins and supplements is ashwagandha a.k.a. “The Chill Pill.” This adaptogen is amazing for reducing stress, supporting strength and endurance, and curbing food cravings. With so much goodness to offer, we developed an ashwagandha PSL that will have you cozied up and zen faster than you can plug in your Vitamix. And an FYI, ashwagandha is most beneficial when taken at night!
What you’ll need:
1c. almond milk (or any nut milk)
3 tbsp. organic pumpkin puree (add more to make it a bit creamier)
1 tbsp. maple syrup
1/4 tsp. pumpkin spice (cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, clove, and cardamom)
dash of vanilla
1 tsp. ashwagandha (our favorite is from Sun Potion)
How to make:
- Blend all ingredients in your blender except for the honey.
- Warm up on your stovetop or in a microwave. Add honey. Give it a good stir or blend again for that foamy finish.
- Finish with a dash of pumpkin spice and enjoy!
And here are some other tips for how to incorporate vitamins and supplements to help you beat the season changing blues:
- Changing seasons means changing skin, evening primrose oil has been shown to promote skin health.
- Elderberry promotes healthy immune function which we all need when the flu comes around.
- Folic acid + Folate are essential B vitamins for your gut and for the repair to damaged cells which can lead to cancer cell development.
- 80 percent of your immune system is located in your digestive tract. Get those probiotics in!
- The fall weather not only shows a decrease in vitamin D but also your melatonin levels. Too little melatonin can disturb your sleep cycle and ultimately lead to fatigue.
- Iron, the one your mom is always asking if you’re getting enough of, is essential for energy and staying focused!
- Magnesium for energy – relaxes muscles so you are no longer tense or tired from being tense. Also helps with sleep, so you’re rested and therefore have more energy!
Care/of makes it super simple to for you to get the right vitamins you need for the transition from summer to fall. You take a simple quiz on their site and each pack is customized to your needs and comes in individual, daily doses. And they’re offering HBFIT readers 50% off their first order with code HBFIT.
Our # 1 tip though? Get in the routine of getting to bed early – get cozied up with a nice warm cup of our APSL with a book in bed. You’ll wake up refreshed and your body will adjust to the sun setting earlier and rising later more easily. Take time for your body to get used to fall!